BETA Version

Beddgelert - Overview

Beddgelert was the site of an Augustinian Priory founded in the early thirteenth century. According to legend, the village takes its name from Gelert, a hound belonging to Llewelyn ap Iorwerth (d.1240), who had saved his baby son from wolves, but before realising his son was still alive, Llewlyn killed the hound. Full of remorse, after discovering his error, the prince buried him near the village. In truth, the memorial stone marking ‘Gelert’s grave’ was erected in 1802 by David Prichard, the first manager of the Royal Goat Hotel, as marketing ploy to attract sentimental tourists to his establishment. It appears to have worked as the legend, his name and the hotel feature in numerable travellers’ accounts of their visits to Beddgelert throughout the nineteenth century.

Accounts of Travel

About Us

This website was developed by a team of researchers and academics across a range of institutions and funded by the AHRC.

Terms of Use

Get in Touch